Derek McCullochPartner, Head of Energy, Infrastructure and Natural Resources
Derek is qualified as a Solicitor in Scotland and England & Wales and he is head of our Energy and Strategic Land team.
He has over 20 years of experience advising and counselling global and domestic businesses on their major corporate, land and energy projects on a UK and international level.
Recently, he has led and advised on several significant merger &acquisition deals and strategic energy investments including the sale of Rio Tinto’s UK Smelter and power operations. He has a track record in advising on natural resource regulation, low carbonisation projects, university commercialisation, and complex joint venture and consortium deals.
Derek is a non-executive board member and trustee for a number of organisations and holds the position of Honorary Consul of the Republic of Korea in Scotland.
He co-ordinates international cross border projects and trade and is Chairman of the global legal network, Lexwork International in Europe and Asia.
Clients comment that he provides a real understanding of all sides of every issue, as well as possessing great business acumen and an innate appreciation of project risk.
- UK legal advice lead on M&A sale of Rio Tinto UK Smelter & Power operations (£330m).
- Co-ordinating external legal advice on 400MW Viking Wind Farm project on Shetland
- Scottish adviser on off shoring and on shoring ownership of strategic land assets
- Legal advice lead on sale of key Scottish assets for global food ingredients business
- Formula One and European Athletics Sponsorship contracts
- Regulatory advice on private legislation for large hydro schemes and Electricity Regime
- Adviser on major energy plant and steel components cross border supply (£50m).
Memberships and accreditations
Law Societies of Scotland and England & Wales
Writer to the Signet
Honorary Consul of the Republic of Korea in Scotland
Chair of Lexwork International (Europe & Asia region)