Jennifer MaciverLegal Director & Head of Family Law
Jenny is a Legal Director and the head of our family law team. She is a practical, solution focussed advisor.
Originally trained as a corporate lawyer, Jenny has brought her knowledge of business to the family law sphere, where she has now worked exclusively for more than a decade. She has also spent significant periods of time living, working and studying abroad in Canada, Japan and Europe. Her clients include professionals, business owners, land owners, expatriates and those in the public eye, as well as their partners and spouses. Given her background, she is best known for her work on financial claims on separation and divorce and on international cases, where at least one of the parties is living abroad, or is a foreign national. She also has a particular interest in child law, including child support, relocation and disputes about the care arrangements for children following a separation.
Her experience includes:
- Acted for a company owner in a divorce where his spouse was seeking to claim a share of the value of his interest in a family company.
- Represented a client where two actions of divorce were raised, one in Australia and one in Scotland, and there was a dispute about which action should proceed.
- Acted for a Dubai based expatriate in a divorce, where he had received a significant pay out following a road traffic accident and his wife was refusing to allow their children to spend time with him.
- Advised the spouse of a well known public figure on the enforceability of a prenuptial agreement following their separation.
- Acted in the first divorce between a same sex couple in Scotland.
- Advised the successful defender in the reported case of H v H which involved a request to relocate two young children to the USA.
As a leader in the field Jenny was a former head tutor in family law at Edinburgh University. She is also regularly asked to write on family law and to speak on current issues at conferences and events, both throughout Scotland and internationally. Jenny is accredited by the Law Society of Scotland as a specialist in family law. She is also a Family Law Arbitration Group Scotland (FLAGS) accredited family law arbitrator, a qualified collaborative lawyer and member of Consensus Collaboration Scotland, and a member of the Family Law Association and the International Academy of Collaborative Professionals (IACP).