Skip to Main Content
Lawyers in Edinburgh
Solicitors in Edinburgh
Family Solicitors/Lawyers in Edinburgh

Latest news and insights

Immigration changes – The impact on rural businesses

Fraser Vandal discusses changes to the UK's work visa rules and how these changes will impact rural businesses.

Long awaited Housing Bill introduced to Scottish Parliament

The long- awaited Housing (Scotland) Bill was introduced to the Scottish Parliament on 26 March 2024.

Land Reform (Scotland) Bill introduced March 2024

An overview of the content in Part 1 & 2 of the Land Reform (Scotland) Bill introduced to Parliament on 13 March 2024.

Can I get divorced before a year?

Published: 01 February 2022
Time to read: 2 mins

In Scotland the vast majority (over 90%) of divorce applications are made on the basis that the couple have been separated for more than one year (with both spouses consenting to the divorce), or for more than two years (no consent is needed). What if the couple haven’t been separated for a year? Is it possible to apply for a divorce earlier than that, or is it a case of waiting?

While the grounds of one year of separation with consent, or two years of separation, are the most common, it’s possible to make an application before that on the ground of the spouse’s unreasonable behaviour or their adultery. Family lawyers in Scotland rarely use adultery as a ground in practice, largely due to the evidential requirements, but also because any inappropriate relationship with a third party would also be classed as unreasonable behaviour. There is no minimum period of separation for an application on the ground of unreasonable behaviour.

There are a few points that should be considered:-

  1. In order to qualify for divorce within a year of separation a person needs to be able to demonstrate unreasonable behaviour on the part of their spouse, and have someone who can corroborate it.
  2. The simplified divorce procedure (sometimes called the DIY divorce or quickie divorce) is only available on the ground of one year of separation with consent or two years separation. If you want to divorce earlier than that on the ground of unreasonable behaviour you will need to use a more formal procedure, which is more expensive and requires a solicitor.
  3. Making an application for divorce on the ground of unreasonable behaviour involves setting out in detail the spouse’s perceived failings, which can be a hurtful and inflammatory thing to do. Particularly if a couple have children together, that can be a major consideration, and a reason to wait.

Go Back


To receive regular updates like this one, you can sign up to our bulletins, and we will provide updates on the issues that matter to you.


Get in touch

Contact us to find out how we can help you.

Get in touch

Lawyers in Edinburgh
Solicitors in Edinburgh
Family Solicitors/Lawyers in Edinburgh

Find a lawyer

If you are looking for a specific member of our team, you can search for them by their name here. You can also search for your regular contact by their area of expertise using the buttons below.

Visit the ‘Our People’ page for more ways to search if you can’t find who you’re looking for.